Monday, November 2, 2015

Communication devices - If you don't know, now you know.



I really enjoyed viewing this week's resources.  Approximately 1 in 68 people currently have Autism.  Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of the resources out there to assist those who have difficulty expressing themselves. I was one of them. Seeing Lianna’s story was heartwarming.  To see that such a young girl had the ability not only to express herself but do so in a way that was engaging and playful was extremely encouraging. Watching this week resources forced me to realize how in the dark I am regarding something that is unfortunately very common. Learning about Proloquo2go and watching the 60-minute video about Josh’s struggles with expressing himself really opened my eyes. In hindsight, I realize that the iPad is a crucial tool for Autism but have never the opportunity witnessed the power that it holds. I personally know have a family member that has trouble expressing herself due to Down syndrome. As she grew older she began to communicate less and less. I am now inspired to provide her with an iPad and the apps to help her communicate with those around her. I am thankful we had to view the videos and resources as part of this week’s requirements.  As a future special education teacher, it is crucial that I am not only aware of the technology to help those with difficulty expressing themselves but know how to use these resources first hand.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to recognize your areas of growth. Desiring to know more will deepen your knowledge about students with autism and the resources to support providing a quality education for this diverse learner. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete