It's astonishing that some people are still skeptical about assistive technology's use for those with disabilities. This week’s resources had fantastic example of why we need assistive technology and how lives have been changed for the better by it. I was particularly moved by the story of Lianna Bryant. Being a child not too far from my own son’s age. It was truly amazing to see how she is so much like many kids her age. Not only was she able to communicate through her mobile device on her wheel chair but was perfectly average in terms of social development! In the short in the video it was apparent she loved to joke, talk about gross things and had interest in boys. I found this video heartwarming and hilarious.
In reflection, although I am familiar with some assistive technology as my son uses assistive technology in school, I can now see how much further assistive technology can go than I originally had envisioned. I now have hopes of somehow getting an iPad into to the hand of an adult family member with Down Syndrome. Perhaps if she had a speaking app she would be able to communicate effectively.
No comments:
Post a Comment