Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Let's Use Video to Reinvent Education - I thought you'd never ask!


I found the TED video with Salman Khan fascinating! I always appreciated what Khan Academy provides but it was great to hear the story behind its beginnings and the motivation that propels it forward. The section of the video that really stood out to me was when Salman Khan talked about how teachers are currently using his videos to flip the classroom, then use class time to focus on humanizing the classroom experience.  I can also appreciate his perspective because I can see how teachers can fall into spending too much time reviewing the basic concepts instead of engaging with students and checking students for content understanding.  It is interesting because I always thought Khan Academy were only videos without interaction and did not check for understanding or track progress. Knowing that Khan Academy does in fact check for these things is fantastic. Sites such as IXL test for math comprehension show you how to get the correct answer but Khan Academy seems to step it up by offering detailed videos with audio then showing how the problem was solved. Khan Academy can test for comprehension with 10 questions.  Once the 10 questions have been answered you automatically advance to the next level. All in all, I am impressed with what I learned from Salman Khan.

No comments:

Post a Comment