The power of storytelling is one that, unfortunately, is often overlooked. This week’s resources have brought to light the full power that storytelling possesses. I really enjoyed reading the article from lifehacker.com “The Science of Storytelling: Why Telling a Story is the Most Powerful Way to Activate Our Brains.” I appreciated how this article along with this week’s resources cemented the fact that in order to teach effectively we need to connect with our students. The easiest way to connect with our students is through storytelling. When looking back at my own educational path I realized that the only teachers I remember bringing lessons to a level that I understood are the ones that brought the lesson back to reality by connecting it to something that they experienced. Even my personal experiences growing up, the most memorable lesson I have learned without experiencing it myself includes storytelling. Also, when trying to guide my 12-year-old, I have found that one of the best ways to relate is by telling a story of my past. My realization is that storytelling is more than just powerful, it quite possibly may be the key to connecting with those that you want to teach. After all, it has been proven that when you tell a story, those listening to you have the power to experience what the story is telling to a certain degree. A great example of this would be a movie. A move can be engaging, provoke emotion and teach you something. The goal in teaching would be to create the same outcome with students.
No comments:
Post a Comment